Choosing an Irrigation Contractor
A Very Important Decision
A professionally installed automatic sprinkler system is the smart way to beautify your landscape and one that will make your life easier. To make the most of your investment you will want to make sure it is designed and installed properly, with the diverse needs of your landscape in mind.
Choosing the right contractor is an important decision. The contractor will design and install your automatic sprinkler system and will ensure the right components are used for each part of your landscape.
What to Expect
An efficient, well-organized contractor will be happy to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
- To begin, the contractor will want to view your property in order to determine soil conditions, water sources and pressure, and planting materials.
- After the initial meeting, the contractor should present you with a formal estimate. The estimate should be thorough and detail the various products used and the total price for materials and installation.
- Along with the estimate, the contractor should clearly explain all the specifics to you.
- When the job is finished the contractor should leave your lawn and garden free of trash and debris, and present you with instructions on how to care for your new automatic sprinkler system.
Questions to Ask
What types of products will be used and why?
The contractor should be able to explain each of the components and why they are the best for your landscape.
Is after-sale service provided?
A professional contractor should be willing and able to provide after-sale service. Examples of after-sale service include spring start-up and winterization.
Is there a warranty?
All of the work performed should be guaranteed. Warranty times may vary for system components and labor. A one-year warranty is typical.
Are customer references available?
Be sure to ask for the names and telephone numbers of recent customers you can call. A satisfied customer is the best way to gauge the experience you will have.
Words of Advice
When choosing a contractor, you should be wary of those who offer to charge you significantly less than others. Low bidders may not be licensed or insured and may often use cost-cutting techniques that can jeopardize your lawn and shorten the life of your system.
Watch out for:
- Omitting a backflow preventer when required by local regulations to protect your drinking water supply.
- Spacing sprinklers too far apart. This makes it impossible for certain areas to receive enough water, which causes brown spots in your lawn.
- Mixing sprinklers with different application rates on the same line. This causes one area to be over-watered in order to sufficiently water another.
- Not using special watertight connectors and protective valve boxes to safeguard the electrical elements.
Above all, you should choose a contractor you feel you can trust, a contractor who installs professional series products, such as Rain Bird components, the world’s leading manufacturer of irrigation equipment.
For more than seven decades, professional irrigation contractors have used Rain Bird products to provide the industry’s most water-efficient, durable and diverse irrigation components, so homeowners like you can have a beautiful lawn and the time to enjoy it.
Looking for professional help with your sprinklers?
Let the experts at Rain Bird send you a list of top-rated irrigation contractors to install your new irrigation system or maintain your existing system.?Click here for free referrals to professional contractors in your area and help selecting the best sprinkler system for your yard.